Other OS Settlement
- The Sony Computer Entertainment America is the target of this class action lawsuit
- This lawsuit revolves around a 2010 firmware update that removed support for the Linux operating system in the PlayStation 3
- It is estimated that the Other OS Settlement will affect 10 million people who purchased a PS3
The Other OS Settlement is entitled In re: Sony PS3 “Other OS” Litigation and is pending in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. The lead plaintiffs in the case are named as Anthony Ventura, Jason Baker, Jonathan Huber, James Girardi, and Derrick Alba.
The class members contend that “...the issuance of the firmware update to disable the “Other OS” functionality from PlayStation 3 “Fat” model computer entertainment consoles (Fat PS3). The Other OS function enabled users to run Linux as an alternative operating system on Fat PS3s… and they claim that they and other Class Members were not informed that Sony retained the purported right to disable the advertised OS functionality feature of the PS3 and disclosure of this would have been crucial in their decision to purchase the “Fat” PS3.” – OtherOSsettlement.com
Other OS Settlement Quick Notes
- All claim forms are due by 12/07/2016
- This class action lawsuit is listed as case number 4:10-cv-01811-YGR
- A settlement fairness hearing will take place on 01/24/2017 to discuss if the proposed $55 settlement per class member is adequate
- Class members will be represented by James Pizzirusso, Rosemary M. Rivas, and Kathleen V. Fisher
- Sony Computer Entertainment America has hired Luanne Sacks, Michele Floyd, and Michael Scott to represent their interest
The Sony Computer Entertainment America claim not wrong doing in the case but have agreed to pay up to $55 to each class member who files a valid claim in order to avoid the cost of an uncertain and lengthy trail.
Any questions about the Other OS Settlement lawsuit (or to request a claim form via US mail) can be directed to 855-720-1264 or fire an email to [email protected] All claim forms can be sent to: In re: Sony PS3 “Other OS” Litigation c/o Garden City Group LLC PO Box 10312 Dublin, OH 10312.